This weekend is packed full of family-friendly activities in NEPA. When people say there is nothing to do in our region, they clearly haven’t taken a look around. The biggest problem this weekend is picking which event to check out. Here are my picks:
- Celebrate girl power at Girl Con from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Viewmont Mall. Organized by the Girl Scouts but open to the public, wear a cape and try out the obstacle course, Zumba, bounce house, superhero fashion show, self-defense training and cookie decorating. No registration necessary.
- Meet your neighbors and celebrate your unique backgrounds at Welcoming Scranton. The event, from 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday at Connors Park, includes games, art and refreshments.
- Enjoy Italian favorites at the Felittese Festival in Old Forge. Didn’t get enough pizza or gnocchi at La Festa last weekend? Enjoy the delicious homemade food at this annual festival, which starts Friday and runs through Sunday.
- Check out dozens of activities at the Fleetville Fall Fair on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event includes vendors, food, entertainment, many kids activities and much more.
- Watch the butterflies fly away at the butterfly release event at Creekside Gardens in Tunkhannock from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Releases will be held at both noon and 3 p.m. The event includes food, entertainment and chances to learn about the life cycle of the butterfly.
- Celebrate Nicholson Bridge Day with arts and crafts, a magician, music and carriage rides. The event begins Sunday at 9 a.m.
- Enjoy the Luzerne County Fair, which runs through Sunday.
- Cheer on the Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre Railriders during the playoff game on Saturday.
Looking for more events? Check out the Access NEPA event calendar.
Sarah balances life as a reporter for The Times-Tribune and as the mom of two little girls. A graduate of Ithaca College, Sarah started covering education in 2006. She has received awards for her reporting from the Society of Professional Journalists, Pennsylvania Newsmedia Association, Inland Press Association and Pennsylvania Women’s Press Association. She lives in Clarks Summit with her husband, their daughters and their sweet pug, Sadie. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org, 570-348-9133 or @HofiusHallTT.