An artist from Luzerne County earned a special award in this year’s Art of the State juried exhibition, the State Museum of Pennsylvania announced today.
Richard Huck of Edwardsville received the William D. Davis Memorial Award for Drawing for his piece “Assault.” The awards were given out yesterday when the 52nd annual exhibit opened to the public at the museum, 300 North St., Harrisburg.
Debbie Baer of Hunlock Twp. also represents Luzerne County in the exhibit. Other Northeast Pennsylvania artists whose work was accepted into the show include: Michael Kuznicki, Columbia County; Elizabeth Hartman and Peter Hoffer, Lackawanna County; James Gwynne, Monroe County; Valerie Perez-Prosick and Robert Stickloon, Schuylkill County; Betsy Kleinsasser, Sullivan County; John Meza, Susquehanna County; and Staci Srebro and Michelle Thomas, Wyoming County.
The exhibit will remain on display through Sept. 8. Admission to the State Museum costs are $7 for adults, $6 for seniors and $5 for children 11 and under. Admission is free for active members of the military and veterans with ID.
Below is the full list of award recipients.
- First place: Sanh Tran, “Untitled, No. 1 (Country Mouse)”
- Second place: Lisa Bennett, “Constructed Lights 5095-45”
- Third place: James Evangelista, “The Laws Must Change”
- Honorable mention: Irene VanBuskirk, “Divided Attention”
- Honorable mention: Kyle Yates, “Indiana Theater”
- First place: Denny Bond, “DIY”
- Second place: Debbie Baer, “Hostile Takeover”
- Third place: Robert Arnosky, “Wish I Was There”
- Honorable mention: Paige Tibbe, “Mike”
Work on Paper
- First place: Geoffrey Beadle, “Samuel Illuminated”
- Second place: Cassaundra Flor, “Aeolian Cityscape”
- Third place: Lauren Scavo-Fulk, “Building and Tree”
- Honorable Mention: Terri Fridkin, “Freeriding”
- Honorable Mention: Linda Aragon, “Maria”
- First place: Amy LeFever, “Untitled”
- Second place: Paul Sirofchuck, “Embrace the View”
- Third place: Sue Reno, “In Dreams I Slept in a Cabin”
- Honorable mention: E. Douglas Wunder, “Scramble”
- Honorable mention: Janine Wang, “Snug Stones”
- First place: Diane Pepe, “Installation: Selective Processes of Memory”
- Second place: Brian Glaze, “WPA”
- Third place: Jennifer Rubin Garey, “Transformation”
- Honorable mention: Tyler Stanton, “Tree House Credenza”
The State Museum Purchase Award
- Cassaundra Flor, “Aeolian Cityscape”
- Sanh Tran, “Untitled, No. 1 (Country Mouse)”
William D. Davis Memorial Award for Drawing
- Richard Huck, “Assault”
Art Docents Choice Award
- Paul Sirofchuck, “Embrace the View”
Caitlin Heaney West is the content editor for Access NEPA and oversees the Early Access blog in addition to working as a copy editor and staff writer for The Times-Tribune. An award-winning journalist, she is a summa cum laude graduate of Shippensburg University and also earned a master’s degree from Marywood University. Caitlin joined the Times-Shamrock family in 2009 and lives in Scranton. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 570-348-9100 x5107; or @cheaneywest