June 12, 1939

King and queen depart Hyde Park

King George VI and his wife, Queen Elizabeth, departed after spending time with President and Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt at the president’s family estate in Hyde Park, New York. Before arriving in Hyde Park, the royal couple visited Washington, D.C., and New York City. This visit was the first time a reigning British monarch had visited the United States.

During the royal couple’s visit to the Hudson Valley, they were treated to a small dinner party at the Roosevelt estate, Springwood, and a traditional American picnic at Top Cottage, another home on the Roosevelt property.

Five people sitting a row on a home's front porch

An interesting family group, taken during the week-end stay of the King and Queen with the American President, his wife and mother at Hyde Park, the Roosevelt family home overlooking the Hudson River, in New York, on June 11, 1939. Left to right; Eleanor Roosevelt, King George VI, Sarah Delano Roosevelt, President’s mother, Queen Elizabeth and President Franklin D. Roosevelt. (AP Photo)

The 150 guests at the picnic enjoyed such items as hot dogs, baked beans, ham, turkey, cakes, doughnuts, beer, iced tea and soft drinks.

During their visit, the royal couple also attended Sunday services at St. James Episcopal Church with the Roosevelts. Despite a request for a low church service, the service still had three ministers, the Rev. Frank R. Wilson, the church’s rector; Bishop Henry St. George Tucker, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church in America; and the Rev. A. Raymond Smith, rector of St. Anne’s Church in Campobello, New Brunswick, Canada.

It was reported that people started lining up outside the church as early as 2 a.m. on the morning of June 11 to catch a glimpse of the royal couple and the Roosevelts.

Following their departure from Hyde Park, the royal couple returned to Canada to continue their tour of the provinces.

Man’s face slashed in brawl at bar

A brawl at a North Scranton bar overnight ended with a man being sent to the hospital with a gash on the left side of his face. According to Scranton police, the fight broke out at the D’Aqunio Club on Providence Road. When they arrived, police discovered Anthony Marinucci with a large gash to his face. He was taken to the State General Hospital, were he received 37 stitches to close the wound.

Police later picked up Nicholas Mangieri of Dunmore as the suspect in the assault on Marinucci. He later posted bail on the charges.