The Scranton Shakespeare Festival will hold auditions next month for its ninth season, coming to the city this summer.
This year’s productions are “Henry IV,” “The Real Merry Wives of Windsor,” “The Wizard of Oz,” “The Humans” and “We Will Rock You.” Auditions are open to people of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, with non-traditional gender casting a possibility. A performer could be hired for one or more productions.
Auditions will take place by appointment only on Monday, March 16, in New York City, and Sunday, March 22, in Scranton. Callbacks for those auditioning in New York will take place Friday, March 20.
To apply for an audition, email a current headshot, resume and list of desired roles to firstname.lastname@example.org. Those moving on to the auditions will receive an appointment time and learn of the location at least five days in advance.
Rehearsals and performances will run from June 15 to Aug. 4 in Scranton. Festival actors will receive a stipend ranging from $200 to $1,200 plus round-trip transportation from New York City or Philadelphia, housing, Wi-Fi, gym and swimming pool access, and some meals.
“The Wizard of Oz”
- By L. Frank Baum with music and lyrics by Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg; adapted by John Kane for the Royal Shakespeare Company; based upon the classic motion picture. Directed by Colin Holmes.
- Roles: Dorothy Gale, Hunk/Scarecrow, Hickory/Tin Man, Zeke/Cowardly Lion, Almira Gultch/Wicked Witch of the West, Professor Marvel/The Wizard, Auntie Em/Glinda, Uncle Henry/Emerald City Guard, Munchkins (children’s ensemble), Ensemble (Twister, Crows, Winkies, Flying Monkeys, Ozians, Poppies and Jitterbugs)
- By William Shakespeare. Directed by Emma Rosa Went; new conflation of “Henry IV” Parts 1 and 2
- Roles: Hal, Falstaff, King Henry IV, Hotspur/Silence, Northumberland/Bardolph, Worcester/Quickly, Lady Percy/Vernon/Thomas of Clarence, Peto/Blunt/Humphrey of Gloucester, Poins/Douglas, Westmoreland/Shallow, John of Lancaster/Doll Tearsheet, Sheriff/Lord Chief Justice, Messengers/Percy’s Servant
“The Real Merry Wives of Windsor”
- By William Shakespeare; adapted and directed by Michael Bradshaw Flynn of “‘The Merry Wives of Windsor’ with a reality television flare”; half pre-recorded and half live on stage.
- Roles: Alice Ford, Margaux Page, Falstaff, Fenton, the Honorable Roberta Shallow, Frank Ford, George Page, Anne Page, Will Page, Evanescence, Missy Quickly, Dr. Caius, Host, Barb Dahl, Pistol, Nym, John Rugby, Abe Slender
- By Stephen Karam. Directed by Simone Daniel.
- Roles: Fiona “Momo” Blake, Erik Blake, Deirdre Blake, Aimee Blake, Brigid Blake, Richard Saad
“We Will Rock You”
- Music and Lyrics by Queen; story and script by Ben Elton. Directed by Billie Aken Tyers.
- Roles: Galileo, Scaramouche, Killer Queen, Britney, Oz, Khashoggi, Buddy, Ensemble
For more information about the roles, visit Playbill.com.
Caitlin Heaney West is the content editor for Access NEPA and oversees the Early Access blog in addition to working as a copy editor and staff writer for The Times-Tribune. An award-winning journalist, she is a summa cum laude graduate of Shippensburg University and also earned a master’s degree from Marywood University. Caitlin joined the Times-Shamrock family in 2009 and lives in Scranton. Contact: email@example.com; 570-348-9100 x5107; or @cheaneywest