A film legend, a classic musical and a popular modern play top the next season for Broadway Theatre League of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
The league celebrates 60 years of presenting stage productions in Scranton in 2019-20 and will again hold the productions at Scranton Cultural Center at The Masonic Temple, 420 N. Washington Ave.
Season tickets cost $200, $275, $325 and $375 and are available at the league office, 345 N. Washington Ave, Scranton, and by calling 570-342-7784.
Included in the season ticket packages are:
- “A Bronx Tale”: Set in the New York borough of the Bronx in the 1960s, the musical focuses on a young man caught between his family and the mob. It features music by Academy Award and Tony Award-winner Alan Menken and Tony nominee Glenn Slater. (Oct. 25 to 27)
- “The Play That Goes Wrong”: The play-within-a-play comedy is set at the opening night of a murder mystery show and bills itself as a mix of Monty Python and Sherlock Holmes. The Olivier Award and Tony Award-winning play wrapped its Broadway run in January. (Feb. 14 to 16)
- “Buddy — The Buddy Holly Story”: This biographical musical about the legendary singer features more than 20 of his hits, including “Peggy Sue” and “Not Fade Away.” (March 20 to 22)
- “Fiddler on the Roof”: This recent restaging of the beloved musical about a Russian Jewish community brings with it such hits as “Tradition,” “If I Were a Rich Man” and “To Life (L’Chaim!).” (April 24 to 26)
- “An American in Paris”: Inspired by the classic film of the same name and featuring many George Gershwin favorites, the show follows a young veteran as he pursues love and art in a liberated Paris. It won four Tony Awards. (May 29 to 31)
Outside of the regular season, the league also will present a few special programs (season ticket-holders receive early access to tickets):
- “The Office! A Musical Parody”: Thursday, Sept. 26, and Friday, Sept. 27, 7:30 p.m.
- Mannheim Steamroller: Tuesday, Dec. 3; tickets go on sale to the public Friday, July 26.
- “An Intimate Evening with Sophia Loren”: Thursday, Nov. 14
Contact the writer: email@example.com; 570-348-9100 x5107; @cheaneywest on Twitter
Caitlin Heaney West is the content editor for Access NEPA and oversees the Early Access blog in addition to working as a copy editor and staff writer for The Times-Tribune. An award-winning journalist, she is a summa cum laude graduate of Shippensburg University and also earned a master’s degree from Marywood University. Caitlin joined the Times-Shamrock family in 2009 and lives in Scranton. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 570-348-9100 x5107; or @cheaneywest