BY HAL BOEDEKER, ORLANDO SENTINEL
ABC has announced the end date for “Modern Family” and lined up Mel Brooks for a live telecast of the “Young Frankenstein” musical this fall.
“Young Frankenstein Live!” will feature music from Brooks’ Broadway musical of his 1974 film, which he wrote with Gene Wilder.
Brooks will produce the telecast. ABC said casting and an airdate will be announced later. In announcing the production, ABC highlighted the success of “The Little Mermaid Live!” in November.
“Modern Family” will conclude its 11-season run April 8, ABC announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association Winter Tour.
The series won the best comedy Emmy five times in a row. ABC will share favorite episodes, voted on by fans, 8 to 11 p.m. March 11. The night begins with the pilot.
Voting for the other episodes runs Feb. 3-7 via a daily Twitter poll from the show’s Twitter handle. Each day, fans can choose from a different selection of episodes.
More announcements from ABC:
- “The Conners” will air live Feb. 11 and incorporate ABC’s coverage of the New Hampshire primary. The comedy will air at 8 p.m. live on the East and West coasts. Members of the Conner family will share a variety of views on the importance of voting. Katey Sagal will guest star.
- “The Baker and the Beauty,” a romantic dramedy set in Miami, will debut at 10 p.m. Monday, April 6. It’s based on an Israeli hit. Victor Rasuk plays the baker, and Nathalie Kelley plays the beauty, who is described as an “international superstar.”
- “Shark Tank” moves to Friday nights at 8 p.m. starting Feb. 28.
- “American Housewife” will shift to 9 p.m. Wednesdays on April 15, taking over the “Modern Family” slot.
- “How to Get Away With Murder” with Emmy winner Viola Davis will return April 2 to deliver its final six episodes. The series finale airs May 14.