Nothing embodies summertime treats quite like an ice cream cone, and Northeast Pennsylvania has no shortage of places to find them.
Whether you crave a classic soft-serve twist or more inventive sundaes, these stands and shops have you covered. Here are a few hot spots for cool desserts around the region. Make sure you go hungry.
Padula’s Frosty Freeze
Tucked in among the borough’s residential area, Padula’s serves hard and soft ice cream — including sundaes, milkshakes and ice cream sandwiches — as well as Italian ice and frozen yogurt. Don’t leave without trying its cannoli cream, available on its own or as a topping.
- Where: 112 W. Grove St., Dunmore
- Hours: Daily, 3 to 9 p.m.
- Details: Visit the Facebook page.
Manning Farm Dairy
Open year-round, this family-owned dairy sells ice cream and other dairy products at its five stores, including one right on its North Abington Twp. farm. Last year, the Mannings celebrated the 100th anniversary of their farm.
- Where: 131 Manning Road, North Abington Twp. (570-563-1702); 210 Meadow Ave., Scranton (570-961-1645); 420 State St., Clarks Summit (570-586-1288); 409 N. Main Ave., Scranton (570-558-1680); and 702 N. Blakely St., Dunmore (570-207-0405)
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Details: manningfarm.com
This city stop is known for its Strawberry Crunch ice cream treat as well as its cheeseburgers, and it’s open for lunch three days a week. It’s conveniently located by the Scranton Co-op Farmer’s Market, too, which typically opens in July.
- Where: 426 Bartel St., Scranton
- Hours: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, noon to 9:30 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2 to 9:30 p.m.; Saturdays and Sundays, 3 to 9:30 p.m.
- Details: 570-343-1900 or its Facebook page
The Downvalley shop serves homemade ice cream in traditional flavors as well as more inventive ones, including peanut butter Oreo cheesecake, Dinosaur Crunch, carrot cake and banana fluffernutter. It also offers edible cookie dough — made from treated flour and pasteurized eggs — in several flavors: brownie batter, cake batter, chocolate chip, peanut butter blast and sugar cookie.
- Where: 4211 Birney Ave., Moosic
- Hours: Mondays through Thursdays, 2 to 9 p.m.; Fridays, 2 to 10 p.m.; Saturdays, noon to 10 p.m.; Sundays, noon to 9 p.m.
- Details: 570-955-0801 or jittyjoes.com
Keating’s Ice Cream
Included on the Pennsylvania Pursue Your Scoops Ice Cream Trail in 2019, this shop makes around 80 flavors during the season on its working dairy farm. Keating’s also sells farm-raised beef and pork, and guests might catch a glimpse of some farm animals while visiting.
- Where: 1642 Archbald Mountain Road, Jefferson Twp.
- Hours: Fridays, 4 to 8:30 p.m.; Saturdays and Sunday, 1 to 8:30 p.m.
- Details: 570-937-4191 or its Facebook page
McGee’s Ice Cream
Family-owned and operated for more than 60 years, this stand serves the Upvalley community not only ice cream — including Hershey’s brand, cones and sundaes — but also fries and other fast food. It even has reduced-fat ice cream options, too.
- Where: 213 Belmont St., Carbondale
- Hours: Mondays through Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sundays, noon to 10 p.m.
- Details: 570-282-1041 or its Facebook page
Caboose Food & Ice Cream
Check out the 1930s Pennsylvania Railroad caboose while digging into soft ice cream, Hershey’s hard ice cream, sundaes, milkshakes, chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches and even homemade waffle cones. The eatery also has plenty to choose from on its food menu, including its specialty, Texas Weiners.
- Where: 100 Madisonville Road, Madison Twp.
- Hours: Daily, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Details: 570-848-2800 or thecabooseicecream.com
Main Ave. Ice Cream
This North Scranton shop has served customers for more than two decades. It’s cash only, so make sure you bring enough to indulge in the soft and hard ice cream, milkshakes, sundaes and ice cream cakes.
- Where: 1706 Main Ave., Scranton
- Hours: Daily, 12:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Details: 570-963-1810 or its Facebook page
Giff’s Ice Cream Shoppe
Open year-round, the eatery serves treats such as sundaes, ice cream sandwiches and milkshakes in addition to traditional ice cream. You also can grab packs of frozen treats and ice cream cakes to go.
- Where: 310 Main St., Blakely
- Hours: Daily, noon to 10 p.m.
- Details: 570-382-3876 or its Facebook page
Harding’s Dairy Bar
This Wyoming County stand has served cups and cones of ice cream as well as sundaes and other specialties since 1978. Grab a bite to eat off the food menu, too, and when you’re done, take some time to enjoy a round of mini golf or head to the on-site driving range.
- Where: 671 Route 29, Tunkhannock Twp.
- Hours: Daily, dairy bar, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; driving range, 7 to 9 p.m.; mini golf, 11 to 9 p.m.
- Details: 570-836-2297 or hardingsdairybar.com
Caitlin Heaney West is the content editor for Access NEPA and oversees the Early Access blog in addition to working as a copy editor and staff writer for The Times-Tribune. An award-winning journalist, she is a summa cum laude graduate of Shippensburg University and also earned a master’s degree from Marywood University. Caitlin joined the Times-Shamrock family in 2009 and lives in Scranton. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 570-348-9100 x5107; or @cheaneywest