After finishing fourth last year as a freshman, Hanover Area sophomore Kyleen McCance took the top spot at this year’s District 2 Class 2A championship held Monday at Fox Hill. McCance shot an 80, four shots clear of second-place Ciera Toomey of Dunmore. She’ll next compete at the regional individual championships, Oct. 14 at Golden Oaks in Fleetwood.
- Year: Sophomore
- Hometown: Hanover
- Age: 15
- Family: Mom, Candice; Dad, Bob; Brother, Desmond (20).
- Favorite teacher: Mr. Callahan
- Favorite movie: “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Favorite TV/Netflix show: “Criminal Minds”
- Favorite golfer: Tiger Woods
- Favorite food: Steak
- Song that gets you fired up before a round: Anything by Queen
- Good luck charm/superstitious ritual: Wear USA stuff to honor my grandpa, a retired military veteran
- Favorite app on your smartphone: Snapchat
- Favorite non-sports related hobby: Play video games
- One word that best describes you: Different
- What superpower would you like to have?: Super speed
- What’s your dream course to play: Augusta National
- The one thing you can’t live without: Phone
- Biggest role model: Dad
McCance spoke with sports editor Tony Maluso about her district title and what her goals are going forward.
Q: What did that win mean to you?
A: My goal was to win districts. I tried working up to it, coming from last year to this year was a big difference with how I improved.
Q: What led to that improvement?
A: A lot of practice. I started practicing with my swing coach more, going down there at least three times a month.
Q: What’s the strongest part of your game?
A: Driving. I have a lot of power people don’t realize. I work out a lot at CrossFit, get my strength.
Q: How important is it to put together a full game — long, short, putting — at a district tournament?
A: That builds my whole score. If one thing goes wrong then it’s all going to fold.
Q: Is there any part of your game you want to put extra work on with regionals and hopefully states coming up?
Q: How long have you been golfing?
A: Four years.
Q: What got you into it
A: I just wanted to beat my brother. I wanted to be better than him.
Q: How long did it take for you to beat him.
A: About a year.
Q: What is it about golf that makes you want to stick with it?
A: It can’t be mastered. You can have one good day, one bad day. You can’t master the sport.