Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf has issued new limits on crowd size that will allow for larger events and gatherings.
Before the new guidance, indoor events had been limited to 25 people and outdoor events to 250 people.
The new limits take effect Friday, Oct. 9. Here is what they all mean:
What events and venues do the new restrictions apply to?
An event or gathering is defined as a “temporary grouping of individuals for defined purposes that takes place over a limited timeframe, such as hours or days,” according to the Pennsylvania Department of Health. It includes the following:
- Sporting events
- Fairs and festivals
- Concerts, or shows and groupings that occur within larger, more permanent businesses, such as shows or performances within amusement parks
- Individual showings of movies
- Business meetings or conferences
- Each party or reception within a multi-room venue
What are the new limits on indoor occupancy?
The new limits are based on a venue’s maximum occupancy limit, as determined by the fire code:
- 0-2,000 people: 20% occupancy
- 2,001-10,000 people: 15% occupancy
- More than 10,000 people: 10% of maximum occupancy up to 3,750 people
What are the new limits on outdoor occupancy?
- 0-2,000 people: 25% occupancy
- 2,001-10,000 people: 20% occupancy
- More than 10,000 people: 15% of maximum occupancy up to 7,500 people
What other restrictions must be followed for events?
Venues must require attendees to comply with six-foot social distancing requirements and implement other measures such as timed entry, multiple entry and exit points, multiple restrooms and hygiene stations.
What about masks?
Yes, masks or face coverings are mandatory, as required under the state’s mask mandate.
What venues and events are not included?
- Nightclubs, which remain prohibited from operating
- Restaurants and bars, which have their own occupancy limits
- Gyms and fitness facilities, which also have their own restrictions
- Groups of people who share a space within a building in the ordinary course of operations, such as in an office building, classroom, production floor, etc.