Lake Carey Day organizers have crammed a full day of activities for Saturday’s festivities.
Deb Tierney, treasurer of the Lake Carey Welfare Association who is handling outreach for the event, detailed a two-tier level of activity.
The Admiral Stark 5K run, which historically has started the day, is not happening this year because organizers for that race weren’t sure where COVID-19 would be in the community. They expect its return next year.
Tierney said from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. there will be an arts festival in the Old Carter Barn (235 Shore Drive — east shore) with fine crafts, live music, great food and sales of Lake Carey merchandise and basket raffle tickets. Participants can also submit a bid for an auction of a painting of Frank’s Marina donated by local artist Michele Brown.
At the Lake Carey Fire Company, participants can register from 8 to 11 a.m. to participate in a new “Walk & Find” event; sheets are due by noon at the Old Carter Barn.
At the fire hall from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m., visitors can: buy treats from the bake sale; sign up for the Poker Run and for historic boat tour; reserve fire company chicken BBQ dinners (or call 570-836-2355); pay LCWA membership dues; and purchase raffle tickets and Lake Carey merchandise. There are at least 80 specialty baskets being raffled, Tierney said.
Tierney said the public also is invited to participate in the following events:
- 10 to 11 a.m.: Canoe and kayak races, Holbrook Road (east shore)
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: BB gun competition for ages 6 to 14 with prizes for different age categories, Lake Carey Sportsman Club
- 11 a.m., noon, and 1 p.m.: historic boat tours, depart from Robic Dock (opposite Frank’s Marina)
- 1 to 3 p.m.: Poker run
- 4 to 7 p.m.: Chicken barbecue, fire company
- 7:30 to 9 p.m.: Square dance featuring Jim Perry and the Mighty Optimistic String Band, Old Carter Barn, $10 (benefits Lake Carey Dam Association)
Lake Carey is special, Tierney said, because it’s a peaceful and relaxing community where people are friendly and support one another.
Contact the writer: email@example.com; 570-836-2123 x33